Setback After Gurgaon Casino Bust

Indian - handcuffs - openOn the weekend, a makeshift casino was busted in Gurgaon. The casino was run out of a house in L-block of DLF City phase 2. There were 43 arrests that took place during the bust, with Rs 20.4 lakh seized. The bust took place on Saturday night, and on Sunday morning, a case was opened up under the gambling act.

The Gurgaon casino was being operated out of a house that is owned by Rajender Yadav, and was rented out to Naresh Malhotra. Players were using chips to place wagers between Rs 1,000 and Rs 25,000. It cost players Rs 1 lakh to enter the ‘casino’ and it seems that there were about 100 visitors a day.

Ramesh Pal said that the police had been given information as follows: “We had a tip off that a casino was operating out of a rented house for the past one month. The casino was designed by a professional from Nepal.”

In addition to this, it appears that the casino employees included five women who had been trained at casinos in Kathmandu, and 15 men that were hired as bouncers, waiters, and cooks. These employees were included in the 43 arrests that took place. All 43 were granted bail on Sunday.

On Wednesday, Naresh Malhotra, the suspected kingpin for the illegal makeshift casino, disappeared. Malhotra was out on bail when he and his family simply left their rental accommodation, with no trace of the family so far. The suspects’ landlord said that it seems his tenant left in a hurry with no notice.

Malhotra’s disappearance is seen as somewhat of a lapse on the part of the Gurgaon police department. It is felt that there should have been guards posted outside his home since he already has a history of two gambling cases against him in both Delhi and in Punjab.