Cock Fight Raid in Manipur

There has been a cock fight racket taking place in Manipur every Thursday for some time. The cock fights have taken place in the Thoubal district, where spectators crowd around a small ring inside which the cocks fight each other. Many wagers are placed on these cock fights, and the spectators cheer on the bird on which they placed their bets.

The police, along with help from others, including certain civil bodies, students, and animal lovers who wish to put an end to the brutality of cock fighting, busted this Manipur cock fighting ring.

There were 23 people that were arrested during the raid that took place on Thursday evening. While there were 23 gamblers arrested, there were also many spectators who were on the scene. There were 56 vehicles owned by both spectators and those who gambled on the outcome of the cock fights, that were seized during the raid. There were also six fighter cocks that were rescued during the raid.

At this time, those who were arrested were booked under The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960. However, it has been made clear that if necessary, many of those who were arrested may also have gambling charges added to their charge sheets in order to make a better case against the offenders.

L Biswajeet Meitei, the managing trustee of the PFA (People for Animal) in Thoubal, explained: “Over Rs 10,000 is bid against each cock in these fights and about 20 per cent of the amount goes to the host, who provides land and seating, and the remaining 80 per cent is given to the winner (bidders). The total bidding amount for one side goes up to Rs 10 lakh per fight.”

He continued to explain that the cock that loses the fight is the one that retreats from the fight. That cock is then killed and eaten. It can cost about Rs 5,000 and more to buy cocks for cock fighting. The cock fights are described by Biswajeet at inhumane and noted that the birds are fighting for their lives and sustain injuries each time they fight.

Those who were arrested in this raid were fined in the local court under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act.