Fans are expecting another exciting year at the upcoming 2017 VIVO IPL. The excitement is mounting with the Player Auction coming up on Monday, 20 February 2017. The auction will take place in Bengaluru at the Ritz-Carlton.
Each of the IPL franchises has been given a maximum purse of 143.33 crores rupees with which to purchase players for the upcoming season. Teams that have retained players from the previous edition of the Indian Premier League have done so using a portion of the purse allocated. At this time, 140 players have been retained from last year. Of the 140 players, 44 are from overseas.
There are over 750 players that have been registered for the auction. Every team is limited to 27 players that can include up to nine players from overseas. After players have been retained, it is possible for the teams to buy a total of 76 more players. This number includes up to 28 overseas cricketers.
The breakdown of the number of players that have been retained from last year’s Indian Premier League is as follows:
• Delhi Daredevils – 17 players retained, 5 from overseas
• Mumbai Indians – 20 players retained, 6 from overseas
• Rising Pune Supergiants – 17 players retained, 5 from overseas
• Gujarat Lions – 16 players retained, 6 from overseas
• Kings XI Punjab – 19 players retained, 5 from overseas
• Sunrisers Hyderabad – 17 players retained, 5 from overseas
• Kolkata Knight Riders – 14 players retained, 4 from overseas
• Royal Challengers Bangalore – 20 players retained, 8 from overseas
This year, it is likely that the larger bids will most likely be on overseas fast bowlers and all-rounders, which are in short supply. It is likely that batsmen will receive lower bids since most of the team have retained quality batsmen from last year’s edition of the IPL.
The 2017 IPL will begin on Wednesday, 5 April 2017, and will end on Sunday, 21 May, 2017. The first match between Sunrisers Hyderabad and Royal Challengers Bangalore will take place at the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium in Hyderabad.