National Level Wrestler Electrocuted at Stadium
The Jaipal Singh Stadium in Ranchi has once again been flooded by the heavy monsoon rains. The 25-year-old national level wrestler, Vishal Kumar Verma, died while trying to clear out some of the water that had accumulated in the Jharkhand State Wrestling Association’s office. It appears that Verma was electrocuted, most likely because of a short circuit.
Vishal Kumar Verma Electrocuted
The young wrestler was electrocuted while using a water pump in order to clear the water in a stadium building where the Jharkhand State Wrestling Association has its office.
Shyamanand Mandal, the Kotwali police station officer who is in charge of the case, commented:
“Preliminary investigation has revealed that death was due to electrocution. Vishai was using a water pump to clear out the water when the incident took place. Faulty wiring seems to be the main cause of the incident.”
The General Secretary and Coach of the Jharkhand State Wrestling Association, Bholanath Singh, said: “It is extremely unfortunate. I don’t know why he went to the office which is sunk in deep waters. The situation of the stadium is pathetic and the building is in ruins.”
Verma was found unconscious, and was rushed to the Ranchi Sadar Hospital but unfortunately died on the way there.
Compensation for Verma’s Family
Verma was the sole provider out of six family members. He had three unmarried sisters. Bholanath Singh stated that the Jharkhand State Wrestling Association has demanded that the state government give Verma’s family Rs 10 lakh as compensation.
It was also noted that the association would be giving the family Rs 10,000 every month until one of the deceased sisters manages to get a job.
Vishal had stood fourth in the fourth place in the last senior national wrestling championship. He began his wrestling career in 2005.
It has been a sad day for Indian sports with the senseless death of Vishal Kumar Verma.