BCB Cancels Asia XI v World XI T20 match

By Dhanu Delphi on March 13, 2020

Cricket matches across the world have gone on without any problem so far but coronavirus concerns have now cancelled a potentially interesting Asia XI v World XI clash.

The impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) on global sport has been tremendous; some of the most popular sporting leagues have brought their seasons to a halt. The National Basketball League (NBA) just announced that it would suspend all NBA games until further notice. Some organizations have elected to have their games held amidst closed stadiums and only have it broadcasted on TV.

BCB Cancels Asia XI v World XI

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) was set to host a very interesting series between a World XI and Asian XI team. The BCB organized this special series in order to celebrate the birthday of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman who is considered the father of the nation.

Cricket fans were eager to see the likes of Virat Kohli, Chris Gayle, Lasith Malinga, et al play one another. The Asia XI would have had massive support; it would have been a fan’s delight to see Asian players beat a World XI.

However, this series will not take place. The Board confirmed that it had decided to cancel the games, scheduled for March 21-22 in Dhaka. The BCB said it took the decision based on the concerns amidst COVID-19 concerns.

The BCB said there were major concerns over the arrival and participation of international cricketers. There were also a lot of restrictions being imposed by different governments and health organizations. The Board did not provide any information as to whether these matches would take place later in the year.

BCB Will Not Cancel Home Games

While the BCB has cancelled the Asia XI v World XI game, the on-going Bangladesh v Zimbabwe series continues. The series is currently taking place at the Shere Bangla National Stadium; the only restriction is on ticket sales to reduce the possibility of exposure to COVID-19.

The BCB also confirmed that the Dhaka Premier League (DPL) would go on as per schedule; the ODI tournament generally does not attract massive crowds. However, the BCB has taken a few precautions including changing the venues from Chattogram and Cox’s Bazar to BKSP.

International Cricketers Keep Silent On COVID-19

The top international cricketers from Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and New Zealand are scheduled to arrive in India towards the end of March as they prepare for IPL 2020. The BCCI has confirmed that the 2020 IPL will go on as per schedule as they have taken the necessary precautions to address COVID-19 concerns.

None of the top international cricketers who are scheduled to play in the IPL have come out and said they will not play over COVID-19 concerns. The IPL is the richest domestic T20 tournament in the world and the top cricket players take home fat paychecks for 6 weeks of play.

Some of these cricketers are waiting to see how things develop in the coming days before confirming their participation. The BCCI is also expected to hold another meeting by the end of the week to make a final decision on whether the 2020 IPL will be cancelled or will proceed amidst COVID-19 concerns.